Last week I participated in the lively, educational and nerd-worthy fun Digital Summit in Chicago. This was such a worthwhile, information-overloaded event for digital marketers.
I got many practical, cost-effective ideas from speakers who worked for familiar organizations including LinkedIn, Twitter, Spotify, Hubspot, Instagram, the Moth and other marketing firms, creative agencies, and marketing users.
Here are the Top 10 Takeaways I got from the event:
- “We can never get control of our marketing until we get control of our data”. My favorite line, from Matt Hertig of Alight Analytics
- On your email efforts, your FROM line should be from a trustworthy or recognizable person or brand. And make that SUBJECT line compelling, since 47% of people open their emails based on the subject line.
- Things that artists do well on social media that brands can learn from. 1—authenticity 2-frequency 3—engage 4—use video.
- Build your own known and owned audience for success in content marketing. Then amplify your content.
- Translate your company’s purpose into marketing messages with provocative content (like REI).
- You have about 8 seconds to engage with a subscriber on your email effort.
- Executive buy-in is key to implementing marketing strategy and implementaion.
- Brand activism is increasing with frequency and intensity.
- To build community, engage with other accounts in a meaningful way. Are you doing or just saying?
- On Twitter, most stories trend within the first 48 hours.
Bonus of #11. –Video, video, video! The use of video increases engagement, partially because visuals can be absorbed 60,000 times faster than text. Expect to see more growth in video in 2019 since many of the speakers talked about using it.
I hope that most of you will find at least 1 thing on this list that you can incorporate into your marketing efforts. Feel free to contact me if you want to have a deeper discussion about any of these.
The journey continues. Cindy
P.S. . If you want to read more of the ideas I got from the conference, scroll through my Twitter feed (@CindyCardinal1) from the week of 9/27/18